Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAV Delivery Details

Hello,

We are wondering about some of the details of the aerial delivery challenge that are not clearly explained in the current version of the rules:

A) The rules say that the drone delivers its payload inside of a ring in the center of the dock. Does that mean that it needs to delivers the objects within the green area, between the inner and outer perimeter of the ring, or anywhere within the outer perimeter of the ring, including the non-colored region?

B) Building off of the above question, what are the radii for the inner and outer perimeters of the ring?

C) Since the drone can deliver more than one object, can it start by carrying multiple objects and delivering them all at once?

D) Since it effects the design of our delivery system, are the objects that are being delivered confirmed? The last we heard was one-inch wood blocks, but we don't know if that was ever definitively confirmed one way or another.

Thank you very much!

Originally posted by Gregory Su View Post
    Hello,

We are wondering about some of the details of the aerial delivery challenge that are not clearly explained in the current version of the rules:

A) The rules say that the drone delivers its payload inside of a ring in the center of the dock. Does that mean that it needs to delivers the objects within the green area, between the inner and outer perimeter of the ring, or anywhere within the outer perimeter of the ring, including the non-colored region?

B) Building off of the above question, what are the radii for the inner and outer perimeters of the ring?

C) Since the drone can deliver more than one object, can it start by carrying multiple objects and delivering them all at once?

D) Since it effects the design of our delivery system, are the objects that are being delivered confirmed? The last we heard was one-inch wood blocks, but we don't know if that was ever definitively confirmed one way or another.

Thank you very much!
    I am working on refining this task and hope to provide additional information soon. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Comment

Gregory Su I hope the below answers provide some insight into your long awaited questions. Given the cancellation of the onsite portion of RoboBoat 2020, the below setup was never tested (open to suggestions)

A) The idea was to use hula hoop rings of different sizes to create rings within rings. Imagine the game of skee ball and the closer to the center you delivered the payload, the more points you got.

B) Diameter of the rings (from center to outside) would be 18", 24" and 30". This would give 4 zones for the payload. The overall dimensions of the task would not change, just the inner structure.

C) The drone would be allowed to carry a maximum of 4 items.

D) The dimensions of the payload are to be designed no smaller than a ping pong ball (1.57" or 40mm) and no bigger than a racquetball (2.25" or 57mm). I shouldn't have to say this but I will say it anyway. The payload should float and be considered expendable (in case they cannot be retrieved between runs).

Please let me know if you have more questions. Thank you for your time and patience.

Comment

Thank you very much for your response! I will let you know if and when we develop more questions about the challenge.

Comment

After some discussion within our team, we do actually have some additional questions and feedback.

A) The description of the hula hoops doesn't sound to us like a circle detection problem you'd use CV for, but rather something where you'd want to hone in the dock itself to center the drone. With this in mind, we feel like suggesting painted or colored felt zones of equal size would be better, because detecting a colored zone would be a much more ordinary circle detection problem than trying to find a hula hoop, especially because the width of a hula hoop means that the resolution of the detecting camera could greatly impact the success of detection, as well as perhaps not centering the rings on the dock.

B) When you were giving an approximation of the object size, did you intend to give a rectangular side, a spherical diameter, or something in-between? Delivering a sphere would be much more difficult than delivering a prism.

Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
          X