FAA Certification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAA Certification

Hi there! We are Barunastra ITS from Indonesia. We would like to ask if it is mandatory for us to be certified by FAA (and not by any other). If it is, is it possible if we go through the certification in America? And how long would it take to obtain the license? Thanks! Have a nice day!

Canadian team here. We have the same question!

Comment

Hey folks,
      we asks that teams flying drone at the RoboBoat competition get a FAA 'Remote Pilot Certificate'. The instructions are available at: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_star...te_pilot_cert/

If you are already a regular FAA licensed pilot, you can take just the online course available at: FAASafety.gov There is also a guide put in place by the AOPA on how to get this certificate: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft...-certification

Note that the FAA has 3 testing centers outside of the US but as far as I can tell none of them are in either Canada or in Indonesia. I would suggest for foreign teams to have 1 team member arrive 2-3d early and get the license. Note that fluency in English is a requirement for the test so choose the team member going through the certification accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by felixpageau View Post
        Hey folks,
        we asks that teams flying drone at the RoboBoat competition get a FAA 'Remote Pilot Certificate'. The instructions are available at: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_star...te_pilot_cert/

If you are already a regular FAA licensed pilot, you can take just the online course available at: FAASafety.gov There is also a guide put in place by the AOPA on how to get this certificate: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft...-certification

Note that the FAA has 3 testing centers outside of the US but as far as I can tell none of them are in either Canada or in Indonesia. I would suggest for foreign teams to have 1 team member arrive 2-3d early and get the license. Note that fluency in English is a requirement for the test so choose the team member going through the certification accordingly.
        The test will be held in Daytona Beach or are all the testing centers outside of Daytona Beach? Regarding the fee of the fee of the test, is it free or do we have to pay a certain amount of fee? And if so, how much. Thank you very much!

Comment

While I don't think it's a bad idea for someone on the team to become a Part 107 Certified Remote Pilot, I don't think it's necessary if the competition falls under the "new" legal interpretation from the FAA. I'm guessing that RoboBoat is a community-sponsored event? If so, then it falls under hobby or recreational use (as long as the pilot isn't paid specifically to fly the UAS)

UAS Educational Use

In any case, the team will need to get an FAA registration number (if it's > 0.55 lbs) and place it on each and every UAS (under Special Rule for Model Aircraft, Section 336). Registration is $5 USD (valid for 3 years) and under hobbyist rules, one number is necessay per team.

Getting Starting

Register your model aircraft

The Part 107 test is ~$150 USD.

What about a comprise? Have everyone (teams and competition organizers) read

From the RoboBoat organizers perspective, there are more steps you'll need to take. These should be done anytime there will be UAS in the air (competitions, exhibitions, etc.), but especially since RoboBoat is only ~3 miles from the Daytona Beach International Airport and falls inside it's Class C airspace.
          • Well before the competition, call the airport Tower to discuss your intentions
          • File a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) 72-24 hours before the start of the competition covering the days of the competition, to inform manned aircraft in the area
          • Call the airport Tower every morning of the competition to see if anything has changed.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X