Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkeeBall Task Discussion

Hi teams.

Here i 'd like to start showing you the progress on the planning and construction for this task. I want to be clear what i am showing you today is NOT final as this is a work in progress, and I'd like you all to provide feedback and ideas on it. Please be honest and don't feel bad if you give us an opinion or idea we end up not using. There may be reasons i don't take your idea. For example if it makes the task too easy / more difficult than I intended or it affects overall competition safety more than we are comfortable with.

Also please realize I am the Technical Director. My job is to design and build the competition you compete against, but i play only a very small consulting role when it come to things like judging and how points work. I cannot answer questions on scoring and points as such, because i don't know / don't have the authority to make such decisions. Usually scoring will be finalized closer to the competition itself.

That said, lets talk skeeball!

So first off let me apologize if the name is confusing, as i don't mean to imply your robot will need to slide a ball up a ramp or anything like a real skeeball game. This is a simple shooting gallery task themed like it's a skeeball game. Once you approach this task from the correct side (that has the purple frame) you will then have direct line of sight to the targets you are trying to sink a ball into.

Let's see the original pic from the task idea.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	taskskee.png
Views:	330
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	3877

The intent of the purple frame is to give your robot something to look for when trying to find the task in the water, and something to line up with as it approaches. You will need to deliver your balls through this frame. All other sides of the task are likely to be netted/walled off so we can control / prevent missed shots from going into the water.

Next is the target. When we brainstorm how to build tasks we are heavily considering how easy it is for you to build them (to practice on) and for us to build them too. With that in mind, this is where we are with the target board:

Name:	Skee Ball V3.png
Views:	319
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	3878

The idea is this is a piece of plywood and the "targets" are blue 5 gallon buckets set into the plywood (painted white) so a few inches of the bucket stick out creating that "raised ring" like a skeeball game. You are trying to get the balls into the buckets. (Duh). The orange ring around the buckets give your vision system something to aim for. I don't have final dimension yet as this render by my Mechanical Engineer was too wide, so i need him to redo it. So this is just a visual for the discussion for now.

The next question is the balls you fire/deliver. I'm leaning towards rubber racquetballs / squash balls. For safety i don't like you guys potentially shooting hard solid balls, so these are light, soft and rubbery, but are still rigid enough for several different types of delivery systems (IMHO). But man does that mean they bounce. To counter that, we may put a layer of foam on top the plywood as to arrest the bounce of the "missed shots". The white/orange paint would then be on that foam so it would not be different visually. Same goes for the bucket itself, though we may just cut the back of the bucket off and have the balls fall into a net to prevent bounce back. I want you to get the points for that shot.

This is what i'm testing with right now

Again, NOT FINAL.

So with this laid out. What are your questions/concerns/ideas to better implement this task?

TD Bill

Hi Bill,
    Here at Vanttec we have some questions about the skeeball.
    Will points count if a ball bounces out from the inside of the target?
    Can you give us a approximation of the dimensions and angle of the skeeball?
    Is the skeeball target going to be along the width or along the length of the floating dock(we got confused at the fornt view image of the skeeball from the manual)?
    Best Regards,
    Vanttec

Comment

Originally posted by VantTec View Post
      Will points count if a ball bounces out from the inside of the target?
      Originally posted by Bill Porter View Post
      I cannot answer questions on scoring and points as such, because i don't know / don't have the authority to make such decisions. Usually scoring will be finalized closer to the competition itself.

Originally posted by VantTec View Post
      Can you give us a approximation of the dimensions and angle of the skeeball?
      Originally posted by Bill Porter View Post
      I don't have final dimension yet as this render by my Mechanical Engineer was too wide, so i need him to redo it. So this is just a visual for the discussion for now.
      You guys did read what I wrote right? :P

I would hope that the head judge gives full points for a bounce out, though such an event is going to be hard to see by the judges on site. Hence my comment about adding foam or cutting the bucket bottom out to greatly reduce bounce back.

Give me a day or two for the dimensions. Still working to get them right.

I’m thinking angle will be determined with some testing to make sure this task is approachable. What angles do you think would work?

Comment

Here's proposed dimensions in inches. Tilt is still TBD. Also still looking from input from you guys on what you would want tilt to be.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Skee Ball 48 x 60 with dimensions.png Views:	0 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	3885

Comment

Hi Bill,

We were wondering how many balls we will be expected to shoot as well as how many we are allowed to carry. Also, are we allowed to extend parts of our boat inside of the purple frame as long as we are within the initial size constraints at the start of the competition? We were also wondering if you had any details on scoring; are all three holes worth the same number of points? We understand that what you had originally said was not final, but we were wondering if there has been any update in the last 2 months since you originally posted this. Thanks!

Much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Bill,
            I have some question about balls.
            Will these be some standard balls?
            Do you know what material the balls will be made of and what size they will be?
            We need this answer because it depends on how we make the shooting mechanism.
            Is the angle of the target board already known?
            Thanks!

Best Regards,
            Beata

Comment

Hi Beata, these are the balls that Bill is testing with now: JBM Racquetball. They are a rubber material with a 2.17 inch diameter. However, as recent as our April 28 TeamTime, Bill has been very open with any suggestions that teams may have for alternative ball! (Listen to Bill's explanation at 1:04:02) Bill will stick with this test ball until he hears any suggestions/recommendations from teams!

The angle/tilt for the target board: Bill hasn't posted the tilt dimensions yet, however is looking to teams for any suggestions as he's testing out some options. So, chime in if you have any requests of what you want this to be!

Comment

Some pics of the first build. Still missing is the purple color on the window frame and the white backing on the deck, as well as the orange circles around buckets.

Name:	PXL_20220603_155006277.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	790.5 KB
ID:	4130Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220603_154953305.MP.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	704.3 KB
ID:	4131

Comment

Working...
                X