Technical Design Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical Design Report

I understand the references and technical design report should be in APA format. Depending on where you look APA font is 11 or 12 Times New Roman. Is 11 Font authorized for use in the technical design report?

Shanklincj Thank you for the question! The instructions state "Reports must be written in English and submitted in PDF format. It is strongly suggested that papers be typed; however, legible, hand-written submissions will be accepted." Due to this statement, we didn't include a font requirement for those that choose to handwrite.

We recommend Times New Roman, 12 point font but there are not specific font type or size guidelines for this report. It will be at the judge's discretion whether the report is legible so small-sized or unique fonts are discouraged.

Comment

Thank you. Understand. The kids started the tech report last year (typed) but are having issues squeezing all the information. Just wanted to make sure that using 11 font typed wouldn’t cost them points. Appreciate it.

Comment

Of course! Thank you for reaching out to clarify.

Comment

I hate to ask this again, but as there are "not specific font type or size guidelines for this report", would 10 pt typed font be considered unacceptable? We printed it out and it reads well from our perspective. But would need to know soon if they are to cut it down for a larger font and fewer graphics. Thanks again!

Comment

jehughes No worries, we appreciate your questions! The rubric scores the TDR on how it best follows the APA format. Traditionally APA format lists acceptable fonts as either 12pt Times New Roman or 12 pt Courier New. Hope that helps!

Comment

The kids reached out to a engineer and was told TDRs are usually done in the 3rd person. The kids wrote their TDR much like the engineering notebook in the 1st person. Siri and Google seem to have different opinions

Comment

Shanklincj

The judges are made up of industry and educational experts. The industry standard for technical / scientific reports is third person writing. That being said, teams will not be judged directly on their use of first person.

Some points to consider:

- Technical writing demonstrates facts that do not depend on the observer, therefore, reports should avoid using the first and second person (I, me, my, we, our, OR us.)

- Use the correct verb tense - Lab reports and research papers should be written in the present tense except for the special case of citing a specific historical event, such as "the transistor was invented by Bardeen, Brittain, and Shockly in 1947.".

Examples:

1) You would not write, 'I have verified that all the results are included in the report'. Instead you would write, 'It has been verified that all the results are included in the report'.

2) Rather than "our results show," say, the results are shown by..."

Comment

Is the fact sheet required? If so, is it intended to be the first page of the report?

Comment

What time on May 3rd is the report due? The reason I ask is that we have class on May 3rd and it would be helpful to use the class period for final edits (our pool test is on April 30th).

Comment

In addition to the Factsheet being required:
                      1. Do we have to use the provided template or (as long as we have all the required information) can we use our own design/layout?

Comment

Johnny Dukovich
                        Yes, the fact sheet is a required component of your Technical Design Report.

It is not intended that the first page of your report is the fact sheet, as it is one of the required appendices. In the guidelines it states, "Sections and appendices must appear in the order listed below." Keep reading the guidelines to make sure you have the correct order in your report: https://seaperch.org/programs/2021-s...equired-events

Submissions (including the report) are due on May 3rd at midnight, your local time.

Comment

jcathro You must use the Fact Sheet template to collect points for this component. We have a variety of template options for you, including PDF, PowerPoint and Google Slide. All templates are available for you here: https://seaperch.org/programs/2021-s...equired-events.

Comment

Thanks! Sorry to have bothered you about that, but I'm the guy at the hardware store (or grocery store, or any store) staring at the shelf with the item I want on it, yet asking an employee where it is.

Comment

Johnny Dukovich No worries! Sometimes the item is right in front of you but you need someone to point it out, that's ok, we're here to show you where it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X