This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool depth

I saw that the pool at UMD's Natatorium has a depth of 8 to 13.5 feet. Are participants able to get any information on the depth of the pool challenges? For instance, will the courses be set up on platforms or will they be on the bottom of the pool?

https://www.seaperch.org/course Bottom of the page. The courses will be suspended. The working depth will be approximately 5' deep for the Rescue & Recovery Course. The obstacle course frame will be approximately 5' deep with the hoops between 3' and 4' deep.

Comment

will the obstacle course be suspended also, or will it be set on the bottom? Thanks!

Comment

jehughes The obstacle course will be suspended with the frame depth at approximately 5'.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I see that if they drop a canister off the course to the bottom of the pool, it is out of play and cannot be retrieved. What happens if they drop their Beacon Activation Device? Can they retrieve it from the pool floor?

Comment

amg17 Good question. Anything dropped to the pool bottom is out of play and may not be retrieved. The pool ranges from 8-1/2' to 13-1/2' deep so it would not be fair for teams in the deeper parts of the pool.

Comment

We have seen the hoops obstacle course suspended in an inverted fashion at regional competition. But it sounds like this suspended hoops course for nationals will not be inverted, only elevated off the bottom (to a depth of 5 ft) similar to the mission challenge course. Can you please confirm?

Comment

jehughes The obstacle course is suspended from the lane dividers; it is not inverted.

Comment

If the team is unable to activate the beacon, can they still do the vault and remaining items for points?

Comment

Shanklincj Yes, teams may complete other tasks without first activating the beacon.

Comment

A question about the suspended challenge course. Does this mean the following:1. If the payload to light the beacon is dropped, it will fall to an irretrievable depth of 13'? 2. The ROV spare parts will be on a platform and the perch will have to carry, as opposed to drag, the spare parts to the vault/ball platform ?

Comment

pam numme Anything dropped to the pool floor is irretrievable. All objects will have to be carried. The ROV parts weigh less than the medium and large canisters and a standard SeaPerch is capable of lifting them.

Comment

Is pool saltwater or chlorine plz?

Comment

I called pool office. It’s chlorine.

Comment

While I see from this forum posting that someone asked about the pool depth at the beginning of May, I didn't get this information until yesterday (May 24th) in the final details email. It wasn't actually referenced in the email either and only because there was a pool picture in the attachments that looked a little different than the build pdf, did I open that attachment.

I'm a little shocked that something so important wasn't a part of the build information. For our team, this is a new parameter eight days before competition starts (at the beginning of the Memorial Day weekend, no less) in a week where we have half a day together to figure it out. Why was this information not provided from the beginning and why is it being given out so late?

Comment

Working...
                              X