Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the SeaPerch Forum!

Home for all questions, comments and concerns for all you SeaPerchers!
See more
See less

Beacon Build Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beacon Build Guide

The Beacon Build Guide is available below.
    Also available at https://www.seaperch.org/course
    Attached Files

I am working on the Beacon and came across a minor issue. The wiring diagram figure 1.11 is technically correct but it does not match the wiring harness created in the manual. The 10k resistor is soldered in a different location.
    Last edited by joet08012; 01-15-2019, 07:57 PM.

Comment

joet08012 Yes you are correct. There is a note regarding this on page 10 of the beacon Build Guide.
      Part 1 Wire the Hall Effect Sensor
      3. Solder the wires (6” long) to the Hall Effect Sensor (HES). Recommended color scheme:
      • Pin 1: Red Pin 2: Black Pin 3: Yellow
      Note: The 10k Ohm resistor may be connected directly to pins 1 and 3 of the Hall Effect
      Sensor, however the guide shows connecting the resistor to the wires.

I have constructed the circuit both ways, it just seemed a little cleaner soldering the wires to the Hall Effect Sensor.

Good eye for details, and good luck.

Comment

I must have missed that note. I went mostly off the wiring diagram. I like the resistor connected to the wires. This reduces the Hall Effect Sensor’s exposure to heat when soldering. Nice job with all the manuals. The Beacon works perfectly by the way.
        Last edited by SeaPerch-Trainer; 02-01-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

joet08012 Thank you for the feedback. I will post an updated circuit illustration soon.

Comment

I made modifications to the bottom of the beacon housing. I made the beacon a separate sealed housing attached to the stand with two saddle tees. This configuration has a few advantages. 1. This allows the beacon to be attached to the stand without glue or sealant. 2. The location of beacon can be adjusted on the stand for shallow water pools and maintenance. 3. It has a drip tube to collect water from a small leak.

I posted this for anyone having water seepage issues with the beacon. Every time I open the beacon to connect the battery I dunk it in water to test for leaks like a tire. Look for small bubbles coming from the housing. I had to really crank down on the coupling nuts to get a perfect seal. Hope this helps.
            Last edited by joet08012; 02-26-2019, 03:23 PM.

Comment

joet08012 Great job, and thanks for sharing. The design that we posted was attached to the task stand without gluing to the stand and could slide up and down on the stand also. I may be missing something.
              I like the drip tube, and my original design that we posted was very similar before we went with the 1" compression coupler. The compression couplers work well, but they do require a lot of force to seal. Some Silicone lubricant would probably help.
              I was at a regional challenge last weekend and a beacon leaked because they did not use the sealed saddle tee and tried sealing an open pipe with plumber's caulk. I was happy that all that was fried was the battery and after drying and sealing the pipe with a makeshift plug the beacon still worked.

Keep up the great work.

Comment

Working...
              X