Scoring New Classes at Regional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoring New Classes at Regional

How do I rank or judge teams to identify qualifiers from my regional for the National? Should I have 5 separate classes at our regional? Or do I keep the three (MS, HS, Open) and find some rubric or way to compare within the classes?

The new divisions are intended to provide opportunities to highlight the novel designs on a more level playing field and to ensure that teams have the chance to be recognized for their ingenuity using different materials.

Competition hosts should continue to offer the divisions that best support their local community. As in years past, winning regional teams will be able to register for the class that best suits their ROV for the annual SeaPerch Challenge, regardless of how they qualified locally, as long as they meet the requirements for that division.

In case you didn't receive the email, the information is posted here: https://www.seaperch.org/2020challenge
    The course details and descriptions of the new competition classes for the 2020 SeaPerch Challenge were released last Thursday. For 2020, the High School Stock and Middle School Stock will be split into two subdivisions: PVC Division and Other Materials Division. Open class will remain the same.

Comment

Is the Regional Competition required to have both the PVC Division and the Other Materials Division?

Comment

John Collins Regional Competitions are not required to implement the new class/division structure (PVC Division and Other Materials Division) that we are using in the International Challenge.

Comment

I understand that if an OM ROV wins the PVC class, they will register as an OM at Worlds. Seems unfair to all the PVC ROVs that miss their shot at Worlds.

Comment

John Collins I appreciate your perspective. This has been the case since teams started using 3D printing. Regional competitions that are awarded 4 spots at the International Challenge could implement the new classes and advance middle school teams (one OM and one PVC) and high school teams (one OM and one PVC).
            I agree that this will be harder for a smaller Regional that can only advance 2 teams.
            It is up to each Regional Coordinator to decide how they will advance teams to the International Challenge. If you have ideas, please post them for discussion as this will certainly be a a topic that Regional Coordinators would appreciate help with.

Comment

It seems to me that if a Middle School team has the expertise and wherewithal to build an OM RV, and the competition has an OM class, they should be classified in the OM division along with the High School students. This will allow a Middle School PVC team an opportunity to advance.

Comment

John Collins That would be worth discussing with your local competition hosts since they are the ones that will decide how to advance teams.

Comment

Firstly, Who can participate in the open class? can the undergrads in universities participate?
                  Secondly, If the Regional Coordinator has the authority to decide who will advance to the international, I wonder in the international itself, the winners depend on any division?

Comment

Nourhan Only grade levels High School and below may participate in the Open Class. RoboNation has competitions for university level teams. Please see https://robonation.org/programs/
                    In the International SeaPerech Challenge we will have the competition classes described at https://www.seaperch.org/2020challenge and awards will be given to the top teams in each class/division.

Comment

Working...
                    X