Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is USBL allowed on RoboSub?

Hi there,

As we've discussed at the teleconference, accessing a DVL is a very difficult problem for most of the teams especially in countries like ours, the prices are even double etc. Right now surprisingly we have USBL available in our hands, so we wanted to know if we can use it for localization. Our USBL has 2 modules, 1 on the vehicle, 1 on a stationary point under the water. Since this is an external module I wanted to know if it is allowed for RoboSub.

If the external module being submerged by us at the dock is a problem, we can build a watertight enclosure with high mass and drop it into the water. (pretty experimental actually there might be communication problems between the modules etc. ) We only require the external module to be stationary. So we are open to ideas if this can be achieved through different methods etc. So with all of those considered, are we gonna be able to use it?

Thanks for the answers!

Thanks for (re)asking the question on the forum. The organizers will have to discuss this (and I'll start that conversation this week 2/18). I really want you to be able to use a USBL, but I want to make sure we cover everything before we say yes.

I think it makes the most sense to submerge it from the dock.
    • Will the wall effect the sensor(s)?
    • How will the module at the dock be used? Will it just be hung off the dock with a (waterproof) battery box on the dock?

Comment

Working...
    X