• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Tasks

2019 RoboSub Tasks

original post: 2/17/2019
    last updated: 3/3/2019

This first post will always be kept up to date, based on discussions we have on this thread.
    So, you'll just have to stop here to see any changes (always check the update date).

If you feel I've missed anything, please mention it.

Path:
    • One from gate to buoy
    • One from buoy to ... ("Garlic drop" or "Stake through heart")
    Pingers:
    • One at the other task not pointed to by the path
    • One at the octagon

Enter into the Relm
    1. From the dock, a team may point their vehicle in any direction they wish.
    2. Bonus: Coin toss
      1. Heads (90°). Vehicle is perpendicular to the dock (front of vehicle points toward the "center" of the pool).
      2. Tails (180°). Tail of vehicle points toward Gate.

Gate
    1. Same gate that we've used for many years.
    2. Orange color on the vertical legs
    3. No color on the horizontal portion (well, it's black PVC)
    4. Gate will be divided
      1. 40% / 60%
      2. 1/2" PVC pipe suspended vertically (2 ft?) (also colored orange?) via zip ties, so a vehicle can easily push it away.
      3. Standard points for passing under the divider
      4. More points for passing through the 60% side / Max points for passing through the 40% side
    5. Style points (max 4)
      1. For every different 90° change (90° pitch down and back to 0° is one change in direction).
      2. More points for Pitch/Roll rotation verses Yaw rotation
      3. Need to think about rotation while translating.

Buoys
    1. Two buoys
      1. One flat (in vertical direction) with image of Jiangshi (on both sides)
      2. One has three sides (triangle viewed from the top) with images of 3 different creatures (not Jiangshi)
        1. Sides: Draugar, Tagalog Mandurugo, Vatalas (pending good images)
      3. Triangular "buoy" will have a slow, constant rotation
      4. Call a creature you wish to touch on the triangular buoy,
      5. Points for touching any buoy (flat or triangular), Most points for touching the called creature on the triangle.

Bin (Garlic drop)
    1. Two bins side by side (same size as last year).
      1. One is always covered, the other is always open
      2. One will have a bat silhouette, the other will have a wolf (colors: orange / yellow ? [not red])
    2. The cover can be slid side-to-side by a lever. Moving the arm to the left will uncover the right bin, and cover the left bin
    3. Points for dropping garlic (marker) into the open bin. Most points for sliding the cover and dropping garlic into the previously closed bin
      1. Points / garlic. Drop two into a bin, get 2x the points.

Torpedo (Stake through heart)
    1. Two windows; one small covered and one uncovered large
      1. Slide door to open up heart window
      2. Potential: slider (left to right) decapitates head (and uncovers heart).

Octagon (Expose to sunlight)
    1. Octagon floating on the surface
    2. Grab vampire (PVC stick figure) from casket (rectangular box) and bring to the surface (inside the Octagon)
    3. Potential: Two caskets: One open, one closed
      1. An easy way (TBD) to open the latch of the closed casket and the lid floats open
      2. Question: more points for picking up both vampires.

Misc
    1. Place other objects (crosses, garlic, etc.) at the gate and the buoys which can be picked up and used at bins and octagon.

As always, I'm open to all suggestions.

bleh bleh-bleh

Let's get this party started!!!
    Last edited by Daveman; 03-03-2019, 11:38 AM.

hmmmm.... No comments? That doesn't seem right..

tap, tap, tap... Is this thing on...?

Comment

Ok I will start! For the bins don't use red. We prefer orange of yellow

Comment

Also do you know or think you know when the final rules with point assignments will be made public......my programmers are asking me to prod you for this info.

Comment

For the garlic drop: will we get more points for dropping two garlics? The current rules make it sound like we only get points for dropping a single garlic into either bin.

Comment

Ledge Copy: no yellow
            You should have your programmers prod me themselves. I'm hoping to have things "finished" (always open to slight modifications) by the end of March.

OSU_UWRT
            It will be points / garlic. So when you drop two bulbs of garlic into the previously covered bin, you will get 2x the points.

Comment

Thanks Dave I will have them prod you from now on...

Comment

Good day Daveman,

With regards to the Octagon task, I have a few questions:
                1. I am confused as to how the latch mechanism will be implemented. Will the mechanism be a rotate to unlatch or slide to unlatch?
                2. Will the vampire be made of the standard 1/2" diameter PVC piping?
                3. Will there be a certain place to deposit the vampire(s), or will we simply need to get them above the surface of the water and then drop them?
                4. For the actual task, will both of the vampires need to be brought into the sunlight at the same time, or will the other notice and flee before we return to vanquish it?
                Sincerely,

NolanCan
                Last edited by NolanCan; 03-23-2019, 10:02 AM. Reason: Additional Question

Comment

Good day NolanCan !

Here are a few answers:
                  1. I'm not surprised, since there hasn't been too much to physically to see, just some vague words.
                    1. Current thought: Slide to unlatch.
                    2. I'm hoping to start designing that in the near future (finish "Garlic Drop", then work on "Expose to Sunlight")
                  2. Yep, he/she will be made from 1/2" PVC
                    1. As will the casket
                  3. Current thought: Just bring the vampire to the surface and then release (lots of other stuff going on all ready in the area)
                  4. Vampires tend to be over confident . 'Just because that fool was caught, don't mean that I will be."
                    1. Both vampires will not need to be brought into the sunlight, and the second one will stick around
                    2. Current thought: points for each vampire brought to the surface.

Comment

Hi! Question: for the garlic drop, will we still get preloads? Or will we have to pick up at the gate/elsewhere?

Comment

Your vehicle can carry up to two markers. You can also pick up the garlic and crucifies to drop elsewhere.

Comment

Hey Dave,

Is the path going to be split into two sections like it was last year?

Also, if you could update the main tasks post (the first post in this thread) with all the new information and images posted in the other threads, that would be very helpful in ensuring that teams aren't missing anything.

Comment

Hi Dave, CRT Gremlin #2 here.

We were hoping we could get some clarification on the sliding lid mechanism for the bins this year.
                          Currently we’re picturing it as a set of PVC rails between the two bins that are still separated from one another as in previous years. The lid would then be able to slide along the rails when a robot pushes or pulls the lever attached to it. We’ve tried to draw out the overall task set-up we’re imagining below, how accurate is it to what you’re thinking at the moment?

A few key open questions we still have though is the shape of the lever (is it a ‘u’ shape on top of the lid as we’ve drawn, or something else), the lever’s location, whether the sliding mechanism will obscure the bins in some way, and what the relative orientation and location of the bins will be with respect to each other.

Thanks!
                          CRT

Comment

Hey Caltech Robotics Team

Thanks for the reminder. The first version of the rules are written, and will (hopefully) be released in the very near future. That should take care of a lot of questions (and maybe generate a lot more).

Path: Yes, the second segment of the path will be ±45° from the previous segment.

As far as the bins go, you are not even close
                            Attached is what I have worked out so far. It's almost there, but not done yet.

There will be a rail, and the cover will be pulled by a rope that runs to the left and right. The external level (the one that the sub is suppose to move) moves the underside arm to the left and right which will pull the cover to the left and right.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Daveman; 04-13-2019, 10:46 PM. Reason: Didn't answer the path question.

Comment

Hey Dave,

I was a bit confused about the Garlic Drop task and was hoping that you could clarify. Are we able to design our own markers or do we have to use the Garlic and Crucifix objects?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X