No announcement yet.

Regulations/Tasks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the long delay. December was a bit crazy, then I had vacation, then.,.. I was avoiding you

My banners are 2' x 4', and bannersonthecheap is ~$13. If you create an account, they'll send you emails on sales, and they have sales all the time.

I love all this discussion!
    Ledge I put together some powerpoint engineering for the 2020 tasks before the break, for all of us to review internally. I'll circle back and see where it stands, and then we can post it.

ded-reckoning is a valid form of navigation.

Using 2019 as an example, here are my thoughts on what can be accomplished via ded-reckoning, and what can be accomplished via intelligence

ded-reckoning (best case):
    • Coin-flip
    • Pass through the gate
      • We can even include passing through the smaller section
    • Touch a buoy
    • Drop two markers in the open bin
    • Surface in the Octagon
    • Collect time bonus

Intelligence (best case):
    • Coin-flip
    • Pass through smaller section of gate
    • Pick up a crucifix
    • Pick up garlic
    • Touching the two-sided buoy
    • Selecting and touching the back side of the triangle
    • Pick up garlic
    • Move the lever on the bins (a bit hard, I agree)
    • Drop two markers into the formally covered bin
    • Drop (2) garlic into bin
    • Decapitate Dracula
    • Fire a torpedo through the previously closed oval
    • Fire a torpedo through the heart
    • Open the coffin
    • Pick up (2) Dracula
    • Surface with (2) Dracula
    • Pick up crucifix
    • Drop (2) crucifix into coffin
    • Collect time bonus
    • Choose to do random pinger
      • Points for obtaining points at the first task
      • Even more points for obtaining points at the second task

So, you can see, there are all ready a lot of things that can be completed with intelligence that would far out weight any vehicle just conducting a ded-reckoning run.

Are we just looking to include a visual inspection task that changes during the run, so that it can't be programmed into the beginning of the run to show intelligence? There are currently a lot of visual inspections tasks incorporated into the competition to showcase your talents!

Thoughts?

Comment

Believe me we want to do intelligence, dead reckoning was basically all we had at the time. 1st year team, freshman etc...

We have been pushing the team to develop vision and such.., look good, but slow development....
      Got a second AUV being built, hoping to take advantage of the IVC points. I am surprised we were able to raise the funds to get it equipped with 3 axis FOG from KVH and Nortek DVL!

Looking forward to conference calls like last year...

Looking forward to rules coming out. It will help me focus the team.

I was defending the dead reckoning we used and felt that people were slighting it. They wanted more intelligence when most teams were not able to demonstrate the use of intelligence.

Nice to have you back Dave! Now come on get those rules out! Its hard to tell sponsors what we are doing or how we are going to attempt IVC.
      Last edited by Ledge; 01-14-2020, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Sooooo, after a long thinking time, our team finally got an idea on how to avoid dead-reckoning with a task simple enough that any team can do it with just a camera and we have come with this kind of task :

It could be two signs (or more) under the dock, that would be flipped by a diver while the team prepare for the run. Depending on the sign the sub detect, it would do a specific action at some points during the run.

For example, we could have two signs, one with an arrow pointing to the leftt, one with an arrow pointing to the right. If the sub detects the arrow pointing to the right, the sub would spin clockwise when going through the gate. And obviously spin counterclockwise if the sub detects the arrow pointing to the left.

Let us know what you think of this, we too are looking forward to have a look at the draft for the new rules and the conference calls !

Comment

[QUOTE=Club Etudiant SONIA;n2894

For example, we could have two signs, one with an arrow pointing to the left, one with an arrow pointing to the right. If the sub detects the arrow pointing to the right, the sub would spin clockwise when going through the gate. And obviously spin counterclockwise if the sub detects the arrow pointing to the left.[/QUOTE]

I like this...

Comment

Working...
          X