This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Daveman,
    Our team has a question regarding the torpedo task. Do we know where the torpedo holes will be positioned in the image?

Comment

pencc
      Short answer: You do!

Long answer: See the shapes with the green border in the images (large circles, shot glass, star)? The interior will be cut out (so there will be a 1" green border around the cut out) and through those holes is where you'll fire your torpedoes.

Comment

Hi Dave,

A comment about the green on the torpedo targets -- while it looks bright above water, in our experience it is one of the hardest colors to detect, bordering on impossible, because of how it blends seamlessly into the green of the transdec. For context, here are stills from what our sub saw from the same green on last year's torpedo target. I can barely make out the green of the border against the transdec myself, let alone having our robot do it!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	torpedo_green.png Views:	0 Size:	498.6 KB ID:	3209

Click image for larger version  Name:	torpedo_green2.png Views:	0 Size:	519.6 KB ID:	3210

I think a color such as orange or red would be good instead, you can see how they stand out more in the above images.
        Thanks for all your hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by Daveman View Post
          pencc
          Short answer: You do!

Long answer: See the shapes with the green border in the images (large circles, shot glass, star)? The interior will be cut out (so there will be a 1" green border around the cut out) and through those holes is where you'll fire your torpedoes.
          Daveman would you be so kind as to tell us where we can find the images with the green shapes? We only see those in the first post of this discussion topic and they don't seem to have any green outlined shapes.

Comment

Caltech Robotics Team
            Thanks for your feedback. I try to choose a color that would help you find what you're looking for. Obviously, that doesn't always work so well in the air vs. underwater. I appreciate the images, they definitely help make your point.

I'm happy to make them red.

pencc
            In this thread, see post #9 (3 - 12 - 2020), and look for the "images" link. Click on that, and you'll be able to download the current set of images for the competition.

Comment

Daveman Could we get the new images with torpedo holes in red like mentioned you will do above? Thanks !
              Last edited by Ledge; 04-11-2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Club Etudiant SONIA
                Actually, Ledge missed the link in the "images" word...

My post just says "current" images...
                The $ and Axe are missing, because "we" haven't finalized on the size and shape for the table.
                I was going to make another post to try to get everyone to help me finish.
                Daveman are you posting the final version of dollar and Axe soon?

Comment

Daveman : What color / shade of red will it be? If you tell us the color code you plan to use we can update the images we already pulled from Drive.

Comment

Ledge
                    I will post an updated version (the ones that we voted on and discussed) of all the images soon.

Bruce
                    I try to stick with primary colors, so red will be (255, 0, 0)

Comment

Thanks Dave!

Comment

Here are the updated images (1/4 scale to reduce the size).
                        • shootout (with RED borders)
                        • cash or smash ( YELLOW octagon with Axe or $)

If we're ok with these, I can put together an post with the official (these will never _ever_ change) images.

Click image for larger version

Name:	05_cashSmash_axe_r.png
Views:	174
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	3233Click image for larger version

Name:	05_cashSmash_dollar_r.png
Views:	158
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	3234Click image for larger version

Name:	04_shootout_gman_red_r.png
Views:	166
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	3235Click image for larger version

Name:	04_shootout_bootlegger_red_r.png
Views:	154
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	3236

Comment

Daveman : Is the black border around the axe (and inside between the other colors) supposed to be solid black or transparent in some spots? When I took a close look much of the black axe outline (and between the handle and the axe head) has a lot of transparent bits it.

Update: I filled in all the black lines to be solid black:

Name:	smash_20200419Upd1.png
Views:	149
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	3238
                          Last edited by Bruce; 04-19-2020, 10:32 PM. Reason: Added a non-transparent sample.

Comment

Bruce
                            Thanks for the catch. It should be solid. I'll update the image.

Just double checked my image. My large, full-scale one is fine, and is all black (see attached). My smaller version is the one was incorrectly "adjusted"

Name:	05_cashSmash_axe.png
Views:	119
Size:	584.3 KB
ID:	3243
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Daveman; 04-26-2020, 10:03 PM. Reason: Double checked my image

Comment

Here are the updated images (1/4 scale to reduce the size).
                              • shootout (with RED borders)
                              • cash or smash ( YELLOW octagon with Axe or $)

If we're ok with these, I can put together an post with the official (these will never _ever_ change) images.

Name:	05_cashSmash_axe_r.png
Views:	174
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	3233Click image for larger version

Name:	05_cashSmash_dollar_r.png
Views:	158
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	3234Click image for larger version

Name:	04_shootout_gman_red_r.png
Views:	166
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	3235Click image for larger version

Name:	04_shootout_bootlegger_red_r.png
Views:	154
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	3236
                              Daveman Hey! Our team is trying to simulate the challenges but we've come to a possible contradiction in the instructions. In the torpedo challenge, the informational presentation states that there will be "one board, two sides" to pass the torpedos through, and from this we assume that one side will be the bootlegger image and another the g-man. However, on your previews post, we see that the holes have different shapes in accordance with the images, so this leads us to believe that there will be two boards. ┬┐Could you let us know how many boards there will be?

Comment

Working...
                              X