Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

FINAL DOCUMENTS

FINAL Rules, Tasks and Scoring posted NOW!
2 of 2 < >

Welcome to the RoboNation Forum!

Welcome to the home for the RoboNation Community! This is where you'll see exciting announcements and features all for the community. Join the conversations below!
See more
See less

Networking Questions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking Questions?

Check out this Tech Talk from Bill Porter himself, in regards to preparing for any of your networking challenges at RobotX.
    Last edited by Hitesh Patel; 09-21-2018, 10:01 PM.

G'day,

When/ how often do you want the Task message sent through the network? The communications protocol only mentions the 1Hz Heartbeat communication, but does not mention how often you want the Task information sent.

Cheers,
    Josh

Comment

Hi Josh All messages should be sent at the same 1Hz rate.

Comment

1. Does that mean that all other task-specific messages must be sent although the AMS is currently only attempting one/none of those tasks?
        2. After reviewing the relevant documents, it seemed to me like the message (NMEA-like sentence) is formatted in ASCII and transmitted in a TCP packet payload data section. Is this correct?
        3. Will the IP of the TD Network DHCP server and the subnet be fixed during the competition? We are trying to prevent a IP/subnet conflict between the TD network and the private network of our router that will be connected to the TD network.

Thank you.
        Last edited by bumblebee; 10-24-2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bumblebee View Post
          1. Does that mean that all other task-specific messages must be sent although the AMS is currently only attempting one/none of those tasks?
          2. After reviewing the relevant documents, it seemed to me like the message (NMEA-like sentence) is formatted in ASCII and transmitted in a TCP packet payload data section. Is this correct?
          3. Will the IP of the TD Network DHCP server and the subnet be fixed during the competition? We are trying to prevent a IP/subnet conflict between the TD network and the private network of our router that will be connected to the TD network.

Thank you.
          Bump, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bumblebee View Post

Thank you.
            1) No, you can send it whenever you want, and you should only send task messages a few times. I only need to have received each task message once after you vehicle reports autonomous mode and before it reports manual mode to end the run.
            2) Yes. This is the same approach as RobotX 2014.
            3) Yes, although it is 3 different subnets, 1 per course. 192.168.65.x, 192.168.66.x, and 192.168.67.x,. You should ALWAYS request an IP and not set a static one.

Comment

Hi Bill, thanks for this. One question, does the boat have to send the message (ie. the code originate from the ASV and routed through the team network) or can it come from operator station?

Comment

Originally posted by Dunbabin View Post
                Hi Bill, thanks for this. One question, does the boat have to send the message (ie. the code originate from the ASV and routed through the team network) or can it come from operator station?
                I was waiting for someone to ask! It can come from the operator station if that's easier for you. I assume you have your own communications protocol between your operator station and your boat, and it would be easier to make the TD connection with operator station code. So I am ok with that. (I also didn't want to force teams to use an IP based command link just to connect to the TD network if they had a better, more efficient method in mind.)

Comment

Working...
                X