Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

FINAL DOCUMENTS

FINAL Rules, Tasks and Scoring posted NOW!
2 of 2 < >

Welcome to the RoboNation Forum!

Welcome to the home for the RoboNation Community! This is where you'll see exciting announcements and features all for the community. Join the conversations below!
See more
See less

Batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries

Hello,
    We encountered difficulties in shipping lithium batteries. Lithium batteries are special cargo. DGX shipping these batteries by sea requires lithium batteries suppliers to provide many documents, but lithium batteries suppliers are unable to provide these documents quickly and may not be able to meet the shipping date.
    I wonder if other teams have similar problems.
    We had an idea that each team needed batteries to power the ASV, and that lithium batteries could be purchased or rented (preferably rented) directly near the venue to meet the team's needs. This has the following advantages:
    1. Batteries belong to dangerous goods. The transportation process is dangerous and tedious. If the batteries can be rented locally, these tedious processes can be saved. The transportation cost of batteries can be regarded as the rental cost.
    2. The normal voltage varies from country to country. Even if we transport our batteries to the competition venue, the charger needs to be purchased separately. The charger can be used directly if we rent the batteries locally.
    3. Locally rented batteries, battery specifications, Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), and proper disposal procedures can be directly requested from the merchant.
    However, the problems to be considered are:
    1, the ASV voltage and capacity requirements of each team are different, and the quality of batteries is different. We use 24V.
    2. When designing the space occupied by batteries, each team is designed according to the size of its own batteries. It is possible that the newly leased batteries can not be put in. When we design the battery size, we have some space for future changes.
    Next,
    1. We also look for batteries that meet the needs in the the RobotX 2018 Local Resources_V1 document.
    2, can the team near the game site provide more information about battery vendors?
    3. Looking forward to other people's suggestions on this idea, or if you have similar problems and ideas, we can work them out together.
    Thank you!
    --- Harbin Engineering University

We have the same question about Batteries for transportation. I suggest that organizer can provide the standard Batteries for all teams and ASV. So we won't meet this problem again for next competition.

Comment

Given the use and transportation of Lithium batteries, very few businesses carry them in their shops. The shops that actually carry lithium batteries for retail are used primarily in mobile devices (phones, cameras, laptops, and such).

Lithium batteries with the capacity you might need for WAM-V operations are not available locally, to my knowledge. In the post about local resources, I mention a local battery reseller (Battery Bills) that might be of use. You are welcome to reach out to them and inquire. You might be able to use deep cycle marine batteries (lead acid batteries), which are available locally.

Renting batteries is not a good business practice because negligent use cannot be tracked (in most cases) and can significantly degrade battery life.

As you are aware, RoboNation is a small non-profit organization, and providing standard batteries for all teams can become a logistical challenge, not to mention the expenses behind such an effort.

Despite the nature of who we are and how many of us there are, RoboNation is committed to providing you a valuable educational experience. We are always open to feedback, so if there is something that I may have overlooked, or you think we can do better, please let me know.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Hitesh Patel View Post
        Given the use and transportation of Lithium batteries, very few businesses carry them in their shops. The shops that actually carry lithium batteries for retail are used primarily in mobile devices (phones, cameras, laptops, and such).

Lithium batteries with the capacity you might need for WAM-V operations are not available locally, to my knowledge. In the post about local resources, I mention a local battery reseller (Battery Bills) that might be of use. You are welcome to reach out to them and inquire. You might be able to use deep cycle marine batteries (lead acid batteries), which are available locally.

Renting batteries is not a good business practice because negligent use cannot be tracked (in most cases) and can significantly degrade battery life.

As you are aware, RoboNation is a small non-profit organization, and providing standard batteries for all teams can become a logistical challenge, not to mention the expenses behind such an effort.

Despite the nature of who we are and how many of us there are, RoboNation is committed to providing you a valuable educational experience. We are always open to feedback, so if there is something that I may have overlooked, or you think we can do better, please let me know.

Thank you
        Hi Hitesh,

Thank you for caring and helping the Chinese team , patiently answering our questions.

For some reason, and for the first time in the competition, we have a lot of non-technical problems to face. Battery transportation is a problem for us, and we are still working together to solve this problem.

Thanks again for giving this platform.

Thank you.
        --- Harbin Engineering University

​​​​​​​

Comment

HEU heading You appreciation is never needed, but greatly appreciated. I cherish working closely with all the teams and providing them resources and information that they may not have access to, or be aware of.

I understand the battery issue and encourage you to look into using deep cycle marine batteries (lead-acid), which are available locally (Battery Bills).

Kindly let me know if i may be of additional assistance. Thank you

Comment

Here are some batteries available locally. More to follow......

Comment

Some more pictures of locally available batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitesh Patel View Post
                Here are some batteries available locally. More to follow......
                Thank you,
                The battery considers the price factor, in addition to voltage and capacity.
                The batteries we bought in China should have been shipped to Hawaii. The local batteries are used as spare batteries.
                If the price is reasonable, we can purchase them directly in the future, so we don't have to go through international transportation.
                Finally, I look forward to meeting you in Hawaii.

Comment

Working...
                X