Soldering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering

I am having trouble getting the wires hot enough to solder. Is it a problem with the iron, a different type of wire, or what? Is soldering recommended or can I do something else to yield the same results?

Alex West I sent you a private message with my contact information. I can send you a presentation that includes videos.

Generally if the soldering iron is hot enough to quickly melt solder then you should be able to solder the wires.
    Steps:
    Allow the soldering iron to heat up enough to quickly melt solder.
    Clean the soldering iron tip. Solder will not stick to a dirty tip. A brass wool (aka. coiled brass, brass sponge, etc.) works much better than a damp sponge. I have attached a picture. Do an web search for "brass sponge soldering iron cleaner".
    Tin the tip by applying solder. Wipe the solder off on the tip cleaner. Apply a small puddle of solder to the tip. Many how-to solder videos do not include leaving a puddle on the tip. This will transfer heat much faster.
    Tin the individual wires:
    Touch the solder puddle to the wire, wait a couple of seconds and touch the solder to the wire (not to the soldering iron tip). The solder should flow around the wire.
    Repeat the procedure for the other wire.
    Hold the wires together using a pair of "helping hands" (picture attached).
    Clean, tin, and puddle the tip.
    Touch the solder puddle to the wire, wait a couple of seconds and touch the solder to the wire (not to the soldering iron tip). The solder should flow around the wires.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	aven-soldering-parts-accessories-17530-64_100.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	3504 Click image for larger version

Name:	Helping Hands.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	3502
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...